Monday, March 24, 2008

Leaving it Behind

Arrival Of Immigrants - Ellis Island 1906
Depicts scenes at the Immigration Depot and a nearby dock on Ellis Island.


This is the scene of thousands of Europeans immigrating into America at Ellis Island in 1906. All these people left behind their home, their country and often family.
In those days that was quite a big step, a time when there were no phones, no e-mail, no air travel. Once you left, you left for good, leaving everything - with the hope for a better future.
What really struck me, when I was watching this short video clip, is the size suitcase or bag everyone was carrying.
One small suitcase, or a little bundle with all of their belongings.
I was thinking about myself, if I had to travel like that, leave everything behind, what would I take.
If I look at all our stuff, our overabundance of material wealth and things we claim ownership to, how hard would it be to leave all that behind.
"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21

So the question is, if you had just that one little suitcase, what would you take ?

4 comments:

The Nieuwhofs said...

Wow, that is a good question. So much stuff to choose from. Most things would not fit anyway. I would take one change of clothes, some family pictures and whatever other meager posessions would fit.
Good story. Love, Randall

Matt n Amanda said...

I think I would easily leave behind all the text books we have laying around here. My brush, a towel, some clothes a pen and paper. My Bible and the laptop. I think I could definately fit all that in one bag.
Hope you are feeling better. Love you lots Mom and thanks for the awesome weekend
Love Amanda

Karen Nieuwhof said...

Hi Elizabeth. I have just seen that you have updated your blog again. Great writing!
I've often asked myself the question "If my house was on fire, what would I grap?" (Is that the same idea?) My answer is never a material item. It's always my scrapbooks so I will have the photos and written journals of the things that mean the most... moments in time of family and friends.

Baruch said...

I am researching my family tree when I stumbled upon your blog. What I feel & think, you express in words so perfectly as if we are of one mind. And it's just perfect how you finish it off with the Word of God - the living God and the only One that can be with us everywhere we go ....